City of Springfield Business License

The licensing division of the Finance Department is responsible for assisting the public in obtaining the appropriate licenses for businesses which are operated in the city of Springfield. Any person or company that sells tangible goods or that provides services in the city of Springfield should obtain a city license at least two weeks prior to beginning business. You may obtain the necessary application forms by calling 417-864-1617 or by visiting the office of the licensing division on the first floor of the Busch Municipal Building at 840 Boonville, Springfield, MO 65802; office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

When you apply for a city business license, zoning/building regulations approval, requests and fire premise reports will be completed along with the city license application for businesses which will be located inside the city limits of Springfield. These forms will be routed to the appropriate departments for approval prior to licensing your business. However, if you have questions regarding the appropriate zoning for the type of business you wish to conduct, you may contact 417-864-1055; questions concerning fire code requirements may be directed to 417-864-1515.

Those business which sell tangible items, including those which use parts to provide services, must provide the licensing division with a copy of their Missouri Sales Tax License or Sales Tax Exemption Letter for their location in Springfield before the city license can be issued. Information relating to the Missouri Sales Tax License may be obtained by calling 417-895-6474.

If your business involves food preparation or handling, a heath permit must be obtained from the Springfield-Greene County Health Department. You may contact the department regarding specific health requirements at 417-864-1850.

License fees are due at the time of application. The license fee varies depending on the type of business you will be operating. Licenses are valid through the current calendar year and must be renewed by January 31 each year.

Several business license categories require special approvals before a license can be issued.  They are liquor and beer sales, private detectives, massage technicians, escort services, liquidation sales, alarm sales and services, taxi cabs, electrical contractors, plumbing contractors, gas fitters, mechanical / heating and air conditioning contractors, locksmiths, ambulances, house movers, refuse disposal areas, pawn brokers, salvage yards, trash haulers, daycare facilities, non-profit solicitations.

If you business falls within any of the above categories, please contact the Licensing Division concerning the special requirements which will be involved.

The following license categories require bonds and/or insurance before the license can be issued:  auction houses, automobile auctions, brokers dealers and repossession agents, electrical contractors, plumbing contractors, mechanical / heating and air conditioning contractors, coupon sales, private detectives, refuse disposal areas, gas fitters, house movers, locksmiths, transient magazine and book solicitors, transient photographers, professional solicitors, taxi cab companies, tree surgeons, pest control services.

Proof of performance bond and/or liability insurance must be on file with the Licensing Division prior to issuing the license. Please contact the Licensing Division for bond and insurance limits for the particular type of business you plan to operate.

Greene County Business License

All businesses selling a tangible item and collecting sales tax within Greene County should obtain a Greene County Business License. In order to obtain a Greene County Business License you should call the Office of the Collector of Revenue at 417-868-4036 or visit the office of the Greene County Courthouse, 940 Boonville, Room 107, Springfield, MO 65802.

Missouri Licenses & Taxes

All businesses or professions which plan to pay wages to employees should obtain a Missouri Withholding Tax Number. All businesses or professions which sell or lease goods to final consumers should obtain a Missouri Sales Tax License. All out-of-state vendors making sales of goods to final consumers located in Missouri, Missouri wholesalers, or those located in Missouri who purchase goods for use or consumption tax free from out-of-state vendors should obtain a Missouri Use Tax License.

In order to obtain a Missouri Withholding Tax Number, a Missouri Sales Tax License, and/or a Missouri Use Tax License you should file Form 2643 (available from Missouri Tax Offices at 149 Park Central Square, Springfield, MO 65806) by mailing it to the Missouri Department of Revenue, PO Box 3300, Jefferson City, MO 65106 (573-751-5860).

All businesses or professions which plan to pay wages to employees exceeding $1,500 per quarter or having employees in 20 or more weeks should obtain a Missouri Unemployment Tax Number by contacting the Missouri Division of Employment Security at 505 East Walnut, Springfield, MO 65806, for Registration of Employment Experience Form (417-895-6899).

Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

All corporations, partnerships and proprietorships (including KEOGH Plan) which plan to pay wages to employees, or which are required to file excise, alcohol, tobacco or firearms returns or use tax returns should obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number.

In order to obtain an EIN, you should file Form SS-4 (available from the IRS office in the Empire Bank Building at 3333 South National, Springfield, MO 65807) by mailing it to: Internal Revenue Service, Kansas City, MO 64999. Filing by mail should take approximately four weeks. Same file day filing can be made by telephone within Missouri by calling 816-926-5999, or by FAX at 816-926-7988.